Monday, July 16, 2012

CAUTION: HYSTEROSCOPY IS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART

This morning wrapped up the end of my testing for infertility.  I had a hysteroscope performed in order to assess whether or not my uterus was a good place for a baby to grow.  I am going to get a little bit graphic with this post.  Don't read it if lady business makes you uncomfortable.  Consider this your warning.

A hysteroscope is a scope with a light and a camera on the end of it.  The doctor places it into the vagina, through the cervix and into the uterus to assess the health of the uterus.  In case you slept through that part of health class, I've included a diagram.  




Before they begin, they clean the area out with water and a cleaning solution.  Next, so they can actually see inside the uterus, they have to make sure that it is distended.  To do this, they fill the uterine cavity with fluid.  Lastly, they move the scope around and take a few pictures.  Here is a sample of what the opening to a fallopian tube looks like under the scope.  This is not me, but I thought it would be nice to show a sample of what I saw today.


There is no doubt that today's procedure was not fun.  For the ladies who know what I'm talking about, it felt like the uncomfortable part of a pap smear, only it lingered for about 3 minutes instead of just a few seconds.  Not awesome, but not completely unbearable.  I wouldn't choose to do it again.  The good news is, I don't have to.

The results were excellent.  My uterine lining is flawless.  Before he dismissed me for the day, Dr. Magarelli said, "You should call and thank your mother for a beautiful uterus."  As I was leaving his office I did just that.  

1 comment:

  1. Hysteroscopy is the inspection of the uterine cavity by endoscopy with access through the cervix. It allows for the diagnosis of intrauterine pathology and serves as a method for surgical intervention. Hysteroscopy Pump used as Hysteroscopy Equipment & it is the first choice of gynecologist for therapeutic interventions. If anyone looking for Hysteroscopy Pump or surgical Equipment’s for Clinical usages buy at Hospiinz

    ReplyDelete