Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Oversight

Today I got some very disappointing news concerning our IVF cycle.  It turns out that when I went in for blood work on July 11th, they forgot to send in the most important vial.  They sent in the regular blood labs, but neglected to send the vial to the "special" lab that calculates my Ovarian Reserve Score. Without this score, they cannot proceed with treatment.

The blood for the OAR score is drawn on the third day of the menstrual cycle.  With them in control of my hormones and menstrual cycle, I am not due to start my period until July 31st.  That means they can't draw blood until August 3rd.  I was supposed to begin taking medications for IVF (injections) on July 25th.  Now, instead of beginning IVF, I have a meeting with the doctor on that date to discuss a new schedule.  I'm so furious I could cry.

I scheduled my move from Peterson AFB to the Air Force Academy so that I could do IVF in the transition period without inconveniencing either base.  Due to the fact that this is an elective procedure, I have to take leave in order to do it.  I don't have enough leave built up to extend the schedule any longer.  Not to mention, even if I had enough leave to make this happen, I am required to report to the Academy on Aug 31.  With the new schedule, I may be on bed rest during that time.

I guess the whole thing was just running too smoothly.  Now it's all effed up and I'm afraid it's going to effect my job.  I had tried to do this in a way that would be easy for everyone.  Now, I may just be setting myself up to make a bad impression at my new base.  I know in the grand scheme of things a few days doesn't seem like a lot, but when you've been hoping, praying, and planning so carefully, it's an eternity.

What may seem like a small oversight to the doctor's office is an egregious error to me.  It's truly effecting my life in a negative way.  I have a career to consider and an obligation to the military that I have to uphold.  Don't stress?  Yeah, right.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry. That is awful that they were so careless. I am praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete