Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Transfer Day!

Today is the big day!  I am massaged and acupunctured and ready for the day.  We're going into our Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET) with a lot of optimism and prayer.  At 12:15 Mountain Time (that's 2:15 for the followers in KY), we will be transferring our embryos back  into my uterus and waiting for them to snuggle into the cushy uterine lining that I have been trying to create with medication for the last 2 months.  We won't know until we arrive how many have thawed and how many we are going to transfer back in.

We have 6 totsicles waiting for us at the doctor's office. They are frozen in groups of two.  The embryologist will begin by unfreezing the two highest quality embryos.  If both survive, Ryan and I are hoping to transfer both.  Each individual embryo has about a 40% chance of implanting.  When you transfer two, you have an 80% chance of getting pregnant and about a 30% chance of ending up with fraternal twins (at least for our age and health).  In about 1% of cases, the embryos split causing identical twins.  That means, in a very very small percentage of cases, people who transfer two end up with two sets of identical twins or quadruplets.  My Reproductive Endocrinologist has been practicing since 1992 and has had this happen three times total.  Please pray that we are not number four.

I honestly don't have a preference about whether we have twins or just one baby, there are pros and cons to both.  My only hope is that we don't have more than two, as this greatly increases the risk to both the babies and to me.  I just want to have a healthy pregnancy and a baby who is a combination of myself and my wonderful husband.

Throughout this process, Ryan has proven himself to be the single most thoughtful, empathetic, and kind person that I have ever met.  He is far more amazing than I even thought he might be the day that I married him.  I am so fortunate to have someone like him in my life, and the world would be truly blessed to have a child of his in it.  I hope that our child takes after their father in every way possible.  I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that he will be a phenomenal dad.

After the procedure today, I will go in for one more acupuncture appointment then head home for three days of bed rest.  I have spent the past couple of days setting up the room for optimum entertainment.  I've filled it with books, movies, and I'll have my computer, iPad and phone on the ready for all of my electronic needs.  I am hoping to catch up with friends, download music, read, and update Pinterest while I'm down.  Here are some pictures of the lovely oasis that I've set up for myself.  Hopefully I will manage to stay entertained.

My cozy bed and nightstand full of goodies.

Collection of pregnancy books, but I've already read all but two.

The last year or so of Vogue, one new book (Room), one library book (From Conception to Birth), a few favorites from my collection, my journal, and an iPad for downloading books and updating Facebook and Pinterest.  


1 comment:

  1. Happy Transfer Day!!! I'm praying everything went well and your little totsies are growing nicely in your fabulous lining...Hope the next few days of bed rest give them the time they need to settle in nicely!

    I'm joining you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete