Friday, December 21, 2012

The End of the World (As We Know It)

To be honest, I was a little irritated that my test results were going to be pushed back for the holidays.  I thought I might take a home pregnancy test, but then I decided that I would abuse my power as a healthcare professional and have a coworker order an early blood test for me today (a big thank you to Dr. Pack!)

This morning after I saw my first patient, I rushed to the hospital to have my blood drawn.  As soon as I got back to the clinic, I began compulsively checking for the lab results on the base medical system.  Exactly 1 hour and 8 minutes after I had my blood drawn the results changed from pending to completed.

I took a deep breath and hit enter.  The next thing I saw was the word POSITIVE in all capital letters.  I jumped up out of my chair and started clapping.  I ran down the hall and started calling my family.  Shortly thereafter, I went into the ladies locker room and cried tears of joy.  The rest of the day was really lovely.  Nothing could bring me down.

The high hasn't worn off yet.  I am still so happy I can hardly stand it.  After all of the needles, pills, and heartbreak, we are finally expecting a baby (or three).  I know there is still a long road ahead and a lot of hurdles to jump, but that doesn't make the excitement any less.

So what's next for the Manning's?  We have two blood tests coming up on Wednesday the 26th and Friday the 28th.  They are going to tell us our "beta numbers" which is a measure of HCG (Human Chorionic Gonadotropins) in the body.  What we are hoping is that those numbers at least double over a 48 hour period.  That is an indicator of a viable pregnancy.  After that, we will have our first ultrasound around January 9th or 10th and we will find out then how many babies are in there.

For now, I'm going to go hang out with my Baby Daddy and then read "What to Expect When You're Expecting" until I fall asleep.  Goodnight to all and may your holidays be as wonderful as ours will most certainly be.  Thank you so much for the thoughts and prayers, it made all of the difference.

1 comment:

  1. OMG How did I miss this post?!?? CONGRATULATIONS!!! SO excited for you!! And you're right, every needle prick and every ultrasound and other extraneous procedure was worth it. Praying for a happy healthy full term pregnancy for you!

    ReplyDelete