Wednesday, December 26, 2012

What?!?

Today was the date of our first blood test to check my levels of HCG (Human Chorionic Gonadotropin).  It is basically a growth hormone produced during pregnancy and it is measured with something called a "beta number."  The higher the beta number, the more HCG you have floating around in your system.

I went in this morning for the blood draw on base.  The base laboratory called the on-call nurse at Dr. Magarelli's office and she called me around noon with the results.  The conversation went something like this:

Cecilia:  Congratulations!  You're definitely pregnant!
Me:  That's fantastic, do you know what the beta number is?
Cecilia:  Of course, we always get the number.
Me:  What is it?
Cecilia:  3,100
Me:  Isn't that really high?
Cecilia:  Well, it's not too high.  We'd like to schedule an early ultrasound for you on Friday.
Me:  Like, this Friday?  Two days from now?
Cecilia:  Yes.
Me:  Isn't that very early for the ultrasound?
Cecilia:  We thought getting you in as soon as possible was a good idea.  Is Friday at 10:00 alright?

So, just in case you need a frame of reference, at this stage after an embryo transfer a beta number of 3,100 is stupid high.  On the up side, we will know on Friday how many babies we have in there.  On the down side, they have me genuinely worried about how many munchkins we might be having.  The most shocking thing they could say to us on Friday is, "Looks like you have ONE healthy baby in there."

Today, I called my best friend Jenny to tell her that I was freaking out about how many babies I might have in my belly.  Worst case scenario, if all three split, we could end up with sextuplets.  You know what she said?  "I hope you have so many that you get your own show on TLC."  Thank you for the support, Jenny.

2 comments:

  1. HOLY CRAP!! That number is fabulous!! Like super fantabulous! Definitely pregnant is right! Can't wait to hear about your ultrasound results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! 3,100 is CRAZY HIGH!! So happy that you are pregnant, but I totally understand the "freaking out" part. Best wishes! Can't wait to hear what you find out on Friday.

    ReplyDelete